Friday 2 November 2012

Sustainable Sports Architecture

Before starting my blog I brainstormed some things of interest to me in hope that this would lead me into an area that I would potentially like to research. Although a research area is not fully clear I have decided to start by looking at sporting architecture as these are two passions in my life. As sustainability is a hot topic at the moment I started to look at the relationship between the three areas.

This new football academy for FK Austria Wien youth teams has taken sustainability and eco-friendly architecture into account.  


The building includes indoor and outdoor pitches, offices, gym and canteen. One of the interesting parts of th design for me is that part of the building is built underground, I would guess that this means certain energy savings costs when it comes to heating. There will be a lot of thermal benefits from having the building half submerged in the ground.


As you can see from the picture although its underground it still get lots of natural sunlight.

The building boasted radiating wall panels and low temperature heating systems and a rainwater harvesting system which can hold 120000 litres of water which is used to water the outdoor pitches.


No comments:

Post a Comment